1. M. Phil.
2. Ph. D.
3. D. Litt/D.Sc.
1. M. Phil.
Master of Philosophy (M.Phil) Programme are available in the subjects:
Assamese, Commerce, Chemistry, English, History, Physics, Political Science, Sociology, Statistics, Mathematics, Economics and Education.
Eligibility for admission:
Candidates must have passed M.A./M.Sc./M.Com/M.Tech. Examination of Dibrugarh University or any other University recognised as equivalent by this University securing a minimum of 50% marks in the subject in which he/she intends to pursue the course, and must clear DURAT conducted by Dibrugarh University. Under special circumstances a candidate may be allowed by the Research Council on recommendation of the Departmental Research Committee to pursue the course in a subject other than one in which he/she has obtained Master degree, provided that the Research Council is satisfied that the branches are interrelated and the candidate is competent to undertake the course in that particular subject.
Admission Procedure :
The candidates shall apply for admission in the prescribed form in response to the notification inviting such applications directly to the concerned Department after clearing the Dibrugarh University Research Admission Test (DURAT).
Duration : One year.
A. All M.Phil students shall be required to :
- attend a minimum of 75% of the total Lectures prescribed and delivered for the course.
- attend and participate in atleast three seminars to be organised by the Department,
- write atleast one seminar paper pertaining to his/her dissertation and present it for discussion.
B. Irregular attendance and/or unsatisfactory performance at the seminars/tutorials shall disqualify an M.Phil student from further continuation of the course if so decided by the Research Committee.
Note: For further details please consult ‘Regulations for the Award of the Degree of Master of Philosophy (M.Phil), Dibrugarh University, 2010'
The Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) programme covers the following areas:
Humanities, Social Sciences, Law, Commerce, Science, Technology, Computer Sciences, Engineering, Medical Sciences including Homeopathy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, and Business Administration.
Eligibility for admission :
- A candidate (other than candidates from Medical and Engineering streams) seeking admission to the course for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) shall have to obtain at least 50% marks in Master's Degree OR equivalent grade point.All applicants seeking admission to the doctoral programme of the University [except foreign students applying for admission as provided for under clause 9] must clear the Dibrugarh University Research Admission Test (DURAT) Candidates with M.Phil degree (regular mode) are exempted from appearing in the DURAT.
- A candidate may also be enrolled if he /she has any other degree recognised as equivalent to the Master’s Degree in the subject in which the candidate wishes to pursue a course of research, provided the candidate fulfills the conditions at (i) above.
- Under special circumstances, a candidate may be allowed by the Research Council to undertake research in a subject other than one in which he/ she has obtained Master’s Degree. Before permitting the candidate to do so, the Council shall satisfy itself that the branches are inter-related and /or the candidate is competent to undertake research in the particular subject as evidenced by published/practical works.
- For doing Ph.D. in Engineering/Technology/Medical Science, a candidate must have a Masters’ Degree in Engineering / Technology/Medical Science with a minimum of 55% marks.
- A candidate with a B.E./B.Tech Degree with a valid JRF-GATE score may also be considered for admission to the Ph.D. programme.
- The candidate shall apply for admission to the Chairperson, Departmental Research Committee of the Department in which he/she desires to pursue research.
- The application for admission must be made in the prescribed form obtainable from the Office of the Dy. Registrar, (Academic) on payment of prescribed fees and will be received throughout the year. The application must be submitted through a recognised Ph.D. Supervisor and should be accompanied by an outline of statement in triplicate on the subject of the proposed investigation.
Note : For other regulations, please consult Dibrugarh University Regulations for the Research Council and for the Degree of Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) 2015
The degree of D.Litt/D.Sc. of Dibrugarh University is awarded to a candidate adjudged to have distinguished himself/ herself as an authority in the field of his/her study on the basis of a thesis or a published research work, illustrating substantial and original contributions towards advancement of learning.
Any Scholar having a Ph.D. degree of Dibrugarh University or an equivalent Degree of any other University duly recognised by Dibrugarh University may apply for registration to the degree of D.Litt/D.Sc not before three years after obtaining Ph.D.
Admission Procedure :
A candidate for the degree of D.Litt./D.Sc. shall apply on prescribed form obtainable from the Office of the Deputy Registrar, (Academic) on payment of a prescribed fee.
The application for registration must be accompanied by -
- Four copies of outline of the proposed work:
- A signed statement giving the particulars relating to his/her contributions towards the advancement of knowledge on the subject; and
- Evidence of substantial research work during the intervening period (i.e. the period between getting Ph.D. and submission of application for registration) supported by documents.
Note : For details please consult ‘Regulations for the Degree of Doctor of Literature (D.Litt) and Doctor of Science (D.Sc.) of Dibrugarh University’.
Research Centres :
The University presently has Five Research Centres established under UGC’s IXth Plan. These are :
- Centre for Comparative Culture Studies
- Centre for North-East Studies
- Centre for Youth Studies
- Centre for Women’s Studies
- Centre for Sattriya Music Studies
Recognised Research Institutes :
- North East Institute of Science and Technology, Jorhat.
- Omeo Kumar Das Institute of Social Change and Development, Guwahati.
- Toklai Tea Research Association, Jorhat.
- Anondooram Boruah Institute of Literature, Art and Culture, Guwahati.
- Indian Grain Research Institute, Assam Agricultural University Campus, Jorhat.
- Central Institute of Assamese Studies, Jorhat.
- Regional Medical Research Centre, Lahoal, Dibrugarh.
- Agro-Economic Research Centre, Assam Agricultural University Campus, Jorhat.
- Defence Research Laboratory, Post Bag No. 2 Tezpur 784 001
- NEDFi, 43, R&D Centre for HAP, Khetri, Kamrup
- Vivekananda Institute of Culture, Guwahati.
- Central Muga Eri Research and Training Institute, Lahdoigarh Jorhat.