Dibrugarh University has introduced Applied Psychology at Post Graduate Diploma level in collaboration with Assam Medical College, Dibrugarh leading to Masters in Applied Psychology with a permission from the State Government of Assam from the Academic Session 2010-11. The Programme is designed in modular form where the first two semesters (1st and 2nd) shall be considered for the PGDAP and the remaining two (3rd and 4th) semesters cumulatively with the first two semesters shall be considered for the Master’s in Applied Psychology. There is also the provision of lateral entry in the Master’s level in Applied Psychology Programme (M.A.) for the candidates who have a background in any branch of Psychology at master's level or PG diploma level. In that case, the candidate shall have to take admission in the third semester.
Two batches of students of MA in Applied Psychology has already passed out since the inception of the Centre. More than 80% of these students have already got absorbed in different fields of Psychology. Students from both batches have been selected for M.Phil in Clinical Psychology at national level which is recognized by Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI) and are also pursuing Ph.D from different State & Central universities. Many others have already got appointed as clinical psychologist /counsellor in different district Civil Hospitals in Assam.
Programme Offered :
1. PG Diploma in Applied Psychology
2. MA in Applied Psychology
Eligibility Criteria for admission :
Candidates having Bachelor degree (Excluding Fine Art) including Medical and other Technical Graduate from Dibrugarh University or any other University recognized by the UGC with at least 45% marks in Major or 50% marks in aggregate will be eligible for admission to the Diploma (PGDAP) Programme. There will be a relaxation of 5% marks for candidates from the SC/ST/OBC categories.
Duration of the Programme :
1. PG Diploma (1 year)
2. M.A. (2 years)
Intake Capacity: 35
Endowment seat: 04
Method of selection
Selection for admission in both the programmes shall be made through an admission test or interview or on merit basis to be determined by the university.
The programme is designed
1. To equip the students with the requite skill in indentifying, classifying and diagnosing psychological maladjustments and disorders.
2. To enable the students to design and implement effectively, intervention programme and strategies for management and treatment of psychological maladjustments and disorders.
3. To enable the students to and acquire a thorough understanding of preventive and control measures to maintain or promote well being in self and act as instruments of positive mental health in community.
4. To infuse the students with a research orientation so as to enhance existing knowledge in the field of Psychology.
5. To provide hands on training to the students managing actual Clinical/rehabilitation/organisational/educational cases through compulsory field work.
Course Contents: Introduction to Psychology, Life Span Development Psychology, Personality and its Assessment, Social Psychology/Social Influence, Research Methodology and Statistics, Psychopathology, Guidance, Counselling and Psychotherapies, Psychological Assessment and Testing, Statistical Methods, Psychological Intervention and Clinical Application, Health Psychology, Contemporary trends in Psychology, Project Work, Field Studies.